Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Year of the Crepe

In May, I ordered a crepe right from a street vendor at the Vanves Flea Market in Paris and watched her make a large butter & sugar crepe before my eyes.

In July, I found my Mom's electric crepe maker in a box in the basement (circa 1978 and never been used!) and spent an entire weekend trying to master it well enough to make dessert for four.

In August, I took a free cooking class at Williams-Sonoma titled "Crepes & Croques." And later that month, I gave in and ordered the spectacular jambon & fromage crepe (above) from a little French bistro in town. Yum!

I am not saying that I have thrown in the towel. But I definitely have miles to go before I sleep, as far as crepes are concerned. This, my friends, is the year of the crepe. Any tips would be appreciated.

3 comments:

LillyB said...

Bless your heart! Practice makes perfect Anne!! Don't give up and before long you will have mastered it!!
In your corner!!

Anne Reeves said...

Next I am going to try a Julia Child recipe I found. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Ann, I'll share my recipe - it came from Playboy about 2 generations ago! The "trick" is in making the batter and then letting it sit in the fridge overnight.

My daughter took my electric crepe maker, and now I just use a small teflon coated skillet. I make a whole stack at one time then use what I need and freeze the remainder for a busy day. (I'll put a copy of the recipe in my purse so I can give it to you the next time I see you.) Marilyn