Saturday, March 5, 2011

Vintage Cheese Labels

You know what I love about modern life right now?  Scanning.  And then Printing.  And then Crafting. 

I love that I can take vintage items, scan them and then print them a million different ways without hurting the original.  This process preserves the value and charm of the antique, but allows me to use the image over and over again.

At Christmastime, I was trying to think of a unique way to package some of my handmade necklaces as gifts.  I decided that if I decorated a small round black tin, it could serve as both the "gift wrap" and "jewelry box" for the necklace later. 

I scanned this antique French cheese label that I bought in Paris at the flea market and then printed the image onto clear sticker project sheets.  All I had to do was cut out the round cheese label "sticker" and adhere it to the top of the tin.  (I did add a touch of copper glitter to the dirt road to add some depth, but it was a piece of cake.)

I decorated three tins this way and they turned out beautifully - the tin was a gift in itself!  And I still have the original cheese label and the cheese label image stored on my computer.  It is a win-win scenario, over and over again.

Have you ever scanned something precious and then felt free to experiment with the printed copies?

2 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

Just been catching up on your posts Anne ... I do love your blog because there is always something sublime to look at ... my mouth is watering at that key lime tart!

Anne Reeves said...

Yea! So glad I am bringing you delight, Mme! The key lime tart is a big hit whenever I made it - tart and creamy.