Monday, March 21, 2011

Meet Ryker

I never thought that I would get to see a turtle this close, but look!  Here's "Ryker", the Loggerhead sea turtle swimming by the window to pose for a picture.

While I was visiting my parents in Florida, my Dad took me over to see the Loggerhead Marinelife Center.  Ryker was one of 4 injured sea turtles getting individualized care in outdoor swimming tanks.  The sign near his tank says that Ryker was found beached and unwell and that the turtle doctors have been giving him "antibiotics, fluids, vitamins and nutritional therapy."  Isn't that wonderful? 

This guy sure didn't expect a human to come to his rescue, but I can tell that he is grateful.  The marine center has a great display inside the building showing turtle facts, illustrations and life cycle information.  Apparently, the beaches of South Florida (particularly Juno Beach and Jupiter) are some of the most actively nested areas in the world!  Who knew? 

No comments: