Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Embellishing Soap

I have started making things again, so get ready to see some fun new projects!  This idea came to me, clear as a bell, while I was watching TV late one night.  Embellishing soap.

I know that this was a popular craft project back in the 1970's, but I couldn't find any reference to it online.  So I am bringing it back!  Attaching paper images (scrap or scrap art) to small hotel soaps using clear nail polish (a strong top coat).  It is super easy and when the right shade and size of soap is paired with the right image, the look is not crafty, just fabulous.

You will need a collection of really thin paper images - something you would decoupage with (see some here).  I used the butterfly page from a value pack called "Romantic Scrap Art Paper" by Artifacts Inc (click the link to see their entire collection for sale online).  My value pack was from Micheal's Craft a few years ago - check their decoupage section in store.

I also think that a lot of the charm is in the small size soap.  It becomes just a touch of botanical by the sink.  And I think everyone has a few extra hotel soaps tucked away.

I chose a moth/butterfly that I thought looked pretty against the pale mustard soap, brushed a little clear nail polish on the back of the moth like glue, and then placed it on the soap.  Then I gently brushed the entire top surface of the moth and soap with clear top coat nail polish to seal it.  Be sure to leave the sides and bottom of the soap uncoated so that they will still suds.
These are the ones I have made so far.  I think John Derian would be proud, don't you?

No comments: