Friday, June 17, 2016

Kelli Estes: Author of The Girl Who Wrote in Silk Visits Our Book Club

I've joined a book club in Seattle. I love to read and always like a lively discussion about plots and characters. As a member of the Junior League of Seattle (I transferred from Birmingham, MI), I am eligible to join their sustainer (alumnae) book club which meets monthly.

Since I have been travelling back and forth, I have only been able to attend a few discussions so far, but I made it to their year end meeting which featured a special guest, the author of the book we just read, The Girl Who Wrote in Silk!

Isn't that neat? I've never had the chance to speak with an author about their book before and it was a marvelous discussion. Author Kelli Estes wrote a compelling novel that is part historical fiction, part romance novel. Not to heavy, not too serious, but very interesting and captivating from the start.

In one story-line, the main character copes with racism and the realities of life in the late 1880's, while the other narrative revolves around a well educated and well off girl in a modern and thriving Seattle. Kelli spoke of researching and imagining life at another time and the challenge of juxtaposing, yet interweaving the lives of two very different women. We had a great discussion and I appreciate Kelli being so generous with her time. The Girl Who Wrote In Silk is a great book club book.

No comments: