Monday, December 29, 2008

Princess Diana's Wedding Gown

I loved Princess Diana.

I was 12 when I set my alarm to wake up early to watch her wedding "live" from London. I collected photo books filled with her beautiful gowns and was so enamoured with her that people brought me memorabilia from their trips to England. A nurse from our doctor's office brought me a porcelain dish that commemorated the Royal Wedding, a fellow girl scout brought me a matchbook that was printed with Charles & Diana's engagement photo and a distant relative even sent me an official "Princess Diana" mug. I loved each piece as a girl and to this day they are safely tucked away among my treasures.

So a few years ago, when my Mother-in-law announced that she was taking my sisters-in-law and me on a "girl's day" to have lunch and tour a Diana, A Celebration exhibit, I was speechless. This amazing exhibit was in Houston for just a few weeks (which happened to coincide with our yearly trip) and showcased over 30 of Princess Diana's suits, dresses and gowns - I was amazed at how many I recognized from the pages of my books. I was so overwhelmed I only managed to take one photograph and this is it. Thank you, Kay, for a day that I will always remember.

3 comments:

Nancy Carabio Belanger said...

Oh, Anne! You are so lucky! I, too, was a huge Princess Diana fan. I would have had so much fun recognizing her dresses and suits from my books also!

LillyB said...

Amazing. I remember it like it was yesterday. She beat me to the alter! But her prince turned out to be a dud like me, poor girl!! It was a beautiful wedding! I am so glad you were able to see those dresses!! What a fantastic memory for you to keep!!!
Diana was a true hero and an inspiration to all to do good.

MmeBenaut said...

It is quaint that one remembers that wedding day - for us because we are still under the reign of the british crown - I know where I was and what I was doing on that day too.
Poor Diana; she so innocently walked into that marriage and she behaved well considering as she said herself that her marriage was a bit crowded.
The whole world loved her, I think.
I love your photo!