Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Book club

Tonight, I have book club. Twice a year, 8 of us meet for dinner and then walk over to the bookstore to select our books for the next 6 months. It is very democratic. We all scour the store for books that were recommended to us, that we have read and loved or ones that we want to read. Then we sit down together and each member gives a little summary of her books, passes them around and adds them to the master list. After each person has pitched her books, we vote, choosing 6 books each. The books with the most votes become our reading roster. It works like a charm. We get a broad selection and it keeps us from getting stuck in one genre. The trick for me will be staying on task and out of the cookbook section!

Are you in a book club? I'd like to recommend a website called Reading Group Guides. It is loaded with discussion guides, book suggestions and reader feedback. It is a wonderful resource and can help you navigate the overwhelming selection of great "book club" books. Happy reading!

6 comments:

LillyB said...

Hey this sounds like fun! I'll check out the site, thank you for letting us know!
The last book I actually read was a book by Joyce Meyer called "The Penny" It was a good book but when we (the women's group at church) did the discussion, I was the only lady that didn't fall in love with it. I guess my previous profession (law enforcement) and training caused me to see holes and missing pieces to the story. It was like she was dancing around so much, she wanted to share but not too much. If I had been an officer questioning her, I probably would have taken her in for further questioning LOL ..well anyhow the other ladies just couldn't believe I wasn't falling out over that book! I decided then, perhaps I should not share my opinions too much. I really enjoy Joyce Meyer! Sorry I got off on a tangent LOL
Have a great day!

MmeBenaut said...

Wow, that IS democratic and it sounds like enormous fun to have with some good friends.

I don't think I could be a member of a book club although I know a few people who are and they enjoy it. I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to but I am a reader of diverse and electic books and somehow I don't think anyone could keep up with me or my tastes!

MmeBenaut said...

PS I love the photo of your books too.

Anne Reeves said...

Thanks! I had fun displaying my cookbooks etc. by color on my bookshelf.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to the Reading Group Guides! I clicked on it and the first book listed is People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. This is one of my book club books for this year. We saw Geraldine Brooks at a lecture last year and have been waiting for this book to come out in paperback. Thanks again!

Anne Reeves said...

Elaine - it is a year later and I just read "People of the Book" - fantastic! I can't believe you heard Geraldine Brooks in person - lucky you!