Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Gift from Mackinac Island

The doorbell rang yesterday and it was the Garden Club Girls bringing me a present! Their Girl Scout troop went to Mackinac Island for the weekend (jealous!) and I had told them all kinds of "things to think about" while they were there.

#1 They would be visiting Mackinac Island during the Lilac Festival - I reminded them that "we" have lilacs on the side of the house.
#2 The most romantic movie ever made (Somewhere in Time) was filmed at The Grand Hotel - since they were scheduled to have lunch there I wanted them to really look around this famous hotel - we're already planning a family movie night to watch Somewhere in Time this summer.
#3 The view from "The Cupola Bar" at the tip-top of the Grand Hotel is breathtaking. I told them to try and take a picture from up there if possible.

So....the girls came and told me all about their adventures. The trip was a big success - they took a horse-drawn carriage tour around the island, saw lilacs in bloom and made it to the Cupula Bar to take panoramic pictures.

My favorite quote was:
"Mrs. Reeves, there was so much stuff you would've liked, it was crazy."

The girls brought me this beautiful bar of handmade lilac soap. We decided that we had to try it out, so we stood in the first floor powder room 3-across washing our hands with sudsy lilac bubbles. Thank you girls!

No comments: