Monday, February 7, 2011

12 Days of Valentine's Day: Chocolate Cake

Where has this recipe been all my life?  I love to bake and lately I have been on the hunt for a delicious chocolate cake.  Tried one - nope. Tried two - not good enough.  And then last night it occurred to me to go to the source:  Hershey cocoa.

I made Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate cake and it was perfect.  Moist, chocolaty, exactly what I was looking for.  I was surprised by a couple of elements - use boiling water, use oil not butter.  Who knew?
 
One tip I have is that you should take the time to trace the bottom of pan and cut a piece of parchment paper to lay it in the bottom (after you grease and flour) before you pour the batter in.  The cake is moist and difficult to remove from a pan with curves.  Hence the "wobbly" edge to the cake above.  It looks more charming than perfect, but I should get points for using a heart-shaped plate. 

There is no doubt that this cake is homemade - and I think that's a good thing! Happy Day 5

Day 5: Bake a chocolate cake.  Everyone will be glad you did.

No comments: