Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Storm Soup

I am making "Storm Soup."

And if a post isn't up tomorrow, we have lost power.  The weatherman says that a doozy of a blizzard is headed my way and while "snow in February" is certainly part of the bargain in my beautiful home state, we are apparently going to get at least 12 inches of snow overnight and everyone is battening down the hatches.

When I was at the grocery store (along with everyone else) stocking up on milk, eggs and bread, I also bought sugar, flour and a new box of baking soda.  A girl's gotta bake, right?  I can think of nothing better in a blizzard than a warm fire and homemade muffins...a chocolate cake...English shortbread.  Being snow-bound means I am guaranteed a little quiet time to peruse my cookbook collection.  All this goes out the window if the power goes out, so cross your fingers for me.

Another part of the fun of anticipating a blizzard is making "Storm Soup."  Any variety will do, but today I am making chicken noodle.  I always have a package of soup mix on hand (my go-to brand is Wyler's Mrs. Grass Chicken Noodle), and today I trying a new mix by Shore Lunch and adding fresh chicken along with carrots, celery and onion.  So far it smells delicious!

What do you do to batten down the hatches?

No comments: