Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pierre Frey Tray

We all have stories of "the big find" at a garage or rummage sale.  How something so perfect fell right into our lap...and at a great price too.

Tonight was my night.  I showed up a little early for my shift at the church rummage sale.  Twice a year I hunker down with a calculator and a cash box to be the "cashier" in the furniture department.  I came early with the hopes of doing a bit of quick shopping before my shift started.  I had about 20 minutes to be a power shopper and look what I found!

A huge (21 x 16 inch) laminated fabric tray in "Plateau Tyrol" by Pierre Frey.  With the original sticker Pierre Frey/Paris on the back!  This is the kind of tray that is large enough to put on an ottoman to hold a coffee pot and several cups and saucers.  This is a sturdy designer-style showpiece.  Now I have wanted one of these trays for YEARS, but with a price tag of around $175, I have always talked myself out of it.  You see, there is a Pierre Frey shop just around the corner from the hotel I like to stay in when I am in Paris (The Millesime).  I can't tell you how many times I have stared in the shop window looking at the selection of fabric-backed trays displayed like dominoes along the window ledge. 

Well tonight was my night and among the frayed and discarded rummage, I noticed one of these trays on a table in a stack of items.  When I pulled it out and confirmed that it was what I thought it was, I looked at the price: $1.00.  Yes, one dollar.  I practically shook when I knew it was going to be mine.  Now I'll have to wait a few months for it to make sense in my living room.  An alpine scene just doesn't cut it in May.  But I can wait.  The minute the snow flies I am serving coffee on my new tray.  Love it! 

5 comments:

Kimmers said...

Woohoo! What a find!
It's beautiful! I cant wait to see it in person but PLEASE stop talking about snow when spring has hardly even shown it's face!

Corinne said...

I am glad you found such a bargain! Especially when it is something you have been longing for! Also, when you do not have to break the bank for it, you enjoy it that much more!

I say put it out for a day in May on one of the rainy cold days! Why wait?

Anne Reeves said...

Thanks, Kim! I love it!
Hi Corinne! - You are so right!

Elaine said...

What a fabulous find!

Anne Reeves said...

I know, Elaine! I still can't believe it.