Monday, May 9, 2011

Sugar Shaker

Powdered Sugar is your friend.  A sprinkling of it can elevate the look of a dish or hide a few mistakes, depending on how your day is going.

I wanted to show you the dreamy side of powdered sugar on a Scandinavian lunch (above) that I had one Summer.  The cold fruit soup had an edible fairy rose floating on a mint leaf - all kissed with a bit of powdered sugar.  Gorgeous!

Then there are the bad days, when your Mother's Day cake sticks to the "needs no spray or grease" French Sunflower cake mold that you bought at the rummage sale for twenty-five cents.  I was not happy.  Then I realized that a dusting of powdered sugar would visually "even out" the variations in color and "stuck to the pan" gaps in my simple cake.  It worked like a charm!  I put the cake on a pink cake stand and it looked like I had always planned to finish it with powdered sugar.  Whoosh - what a relief.

From now on, I'll use a non-stick spray in my new pan (I still love it) and I'll keep my sugar shaker full!

No comments: