Saturday, August 27, 2011

Traverse City: The Boathouse on Old Mission Peninsula

Timing was everything on this picture perfect Friday last month.  You should know that a standard comment in Michigan is: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute."  

It is so true!  Just one hour after I took this photo (and just minutes after finishing my lunch) on the open air deck at "The Boathouse," the sky opened up with thunder, lightening and heavy-heavy rain.  I was so happy to have had a picture perfect lunch at this beautiful spot before dining outdoors was out of the question. 

I had heard about The Boathouse restaurant on Old Mission Peninsula many times (people love it!), but since it is about an hour from the cottage I was never way out on the peninsula at lunchtime.  When I finally made it out there, I was able to enjoy a gorgeous apple and beet salad with vanilla vinaigrette and a perfect little margherita pizza.  And all the while, looking at West Grand Traverse Bay. 

If you make it out to Old Mission Peninsula, be sure to have lunch at The Boathouse before you head farther into the peninsula for sightseeing and wine tasting at some of Michigan's most famous wineries.  I know you will just love it!

No comments: