Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hot Pepper Profile

I really like it when people put a creative spin on their businesses, and when I heard the gist of this hot pepper stand, I knew immediately that I wanted to share it with you.

Piper's Peppers at Detroit's Eastern Market sells fresh vegetable/herb kits to make homemade salsa.  What a neat idea!  When you choose which type of salsa you want to make (we choose two different salsa kits: Pineapple and Tomatillo) they discuss your "heat tolerance" and add the appropriate variety and number of hot peppers to customize the heat of your salsa.

The peppers for sale (and on display above) range from mild to hot hot hot.  You might want to refer to their online heat guide here to get your bearings.

I really enjoyed talking with Ann about the recipes and spice levels and the minute we got home I started cutting up the treasures in my Pineapple Salsa kit (fresh pineapple, red bell peppers, green onion, salt and a super mild " hot" pepper) so that the flavors could meld while I made dinner.  We served it as a sauce for char-grilled pork tenderloin and it was delish.

Have you ever made homemade salsa?  You might never go back to the jar.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I make salsa all the time and am always on the hunt for new recipes. What a wonderful stand! I am going to check out their site.