Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pasta Garden

I have been amusing myself lately by talking about my "Pasta Garden."  You've heard of a Salad Garden (full a healthy assortment of lettuces) and a Salsa Garden (which is primarily tomatoes and hot peppers).  Well, right now my small garden is producing lots of tomatoes, basil and zucchini.  To me, that means pasta.

I absolutely love the fact that I can "eat what I grow," so I react by making a quick saute of olive oil, diced zucchini, cherry tomatoes ("Sweet 100") and fresh basil (with a dash of hot pepper flakes, sea salt and black pepper) and serve it over angel hair pasta (and it doesn't hurt that the box of pasta was $1 at Walmart).  So dinner is basically free and I feel a little "green" (I'm sure this dinner reduced my carbon footprint somehow, right?) and a lot smart.

If you have space for one pot outside, check to see if your garden store still has a "Sweet 100" and a pot of basil for sale.  You too can have your own very "Pasta Garden."     

No comments: