Thursday, January 5, 2012

Honolulu: Roy's in Waikiki

It was my first dinner on Oahu and my friend had arranged for us to meet up with 2 of her friends at Roy's.

"Roy, the famous Hawaiian chef that I saw cook on Top Chef Masters - that Roy?!". Yep.

I was over the moon. I had been joking that my favorite foods are shrimp, rice, pineapple, coffee and coconut, so Hawaii was the bullseye in my culinary map.

I am eating local! The salad had Kula butter leaf lettuce, Big Island goat cheese, bacon, Tempura onions from Eva, with local papaya and a curry yuzu vinaigrette. It was light and delicious, although next time I would get the dressing on the side.

The entree (and part of the meal I had difficulty making conversation through because I was completely entranced by the dish!) was Jumbo Shrimp Roasted in butter served with Avocado and Eggplant risotto with a Tomato Lime broth. Roy, you are a genius!

No comments: