Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Oahu: Dole Pineapple Plantation

I love fresh pineapple and this is the ultimate in "fresh", wouldn't you say?

I visited the Dole Pineapple Plantation today (look at the pineapple field with the Pacific ocean in the background! Gorgeous.) and was surprised to learn that each pineapple plant can produce one pineapple 3 times; the first pineapple takes 18 months to develop and reach maturity, the second pineapple takes 32 months for it to develop and the third and final piece of fruit takes 45 months before it can be picked and eaten. Isn't that hard to imagine? And after that 3rd pineapple is picked, the plant is finished producing forever.

I really had fun looking around the gift shop and "had to have" a lovely dark wood cutting board in the shape of a pineapple. The pineapple is a symbol of hospitality and I know that I will have fun using this board for appetizers at my house. I have a vague recollection of a cream cheese/pineapple recipe that would be nice with crackers. I'll have to see if I can find it when I get home. If I do, I promise to post it here.

No comments: