Thursday, April 19, 2012

Duct Tape Wristlets

"Do you think you could do a craft with the girls?"  That kind of question is music to my ears.  I said "yes" before she got to the end of the sentence.     
When I planned our trip to Florida for Easter vacation, part of my motivation was to be able to spend time with two of my cousins and their families.  We rarely get to see each other in Michigan, but since our parents are near each other in Florida, we vacation in the same area.  When they told me the dates of their school break, it was easy to sync our trip with theirs.
We had cookouts together, spent time at the pool and even bumped into each other at TJ Maxx.  Throughout the week, six girls (age 12-16) and I talked about crafting - materials, colors and when we would have time to make something.

As a seasoned crafter, I considered their age, skill set and wish list to come up with a no-sew, no-fail project.  I've worked with duct tape for years making my Delight Totes and I knew that if I used the Duck Brand Duck Tape sheets and rolls, a rotary cutter, self-healing mat and some sticky velcro (for the closure), we could make simple but stylish wristlets in no time.
While I helped each girl make her wristlet, the others patiently strung beads onto wire to make butterfly/flower hair charms to attach to bobby pins.  By the end of the night, each girl had two treasures: a hair ornament and a super cute purse.  We spent 2 hours working together and, for me, it was the highlight of the trip! Ahhh...to have a bunch of girls who want to learn how to make things. Love it!

No comments: