Monday, May 13, 2013

Burpee Healing Hands Salad Mix

I know a good thing when I see it.  This pot (shown on top) is my new "Salad Garden."  When I was at the garden center, I noticed pots of Burpee's "Healing Hands Lettuce Mix" already growing and ready to harvest (the link is for the seeds only; check your garden center to see if they sell the lettuce already growing!).  I can cut lettuce as I need it and watch it grow and replenish itself all Summer.

I found the pots of lettuce at my local garden center (Meijers).  I bought two containers and planted them next to each other in a pot of soil.  Each mix has several types of lettuce plants growing together.  The label claims that this "Boost" lettuce collection has 30% more beta carotene and 20% more lutein than other salad blends.  Sounds good to me.

I love it! It looks fresh and pretty when I look out the kitchen window and see it   on display next to a pot of herbs (thyme, rosemary, flat leaf parsley and a Hungarian pepper plant) on my deck.  I amuse myself when I'm rattling off "what's for dinner" by pointing to the deck and saying "salad."  I've clipped 2 small salads from my container so far and it is still healthy and full.

Isn't this a wonderful idea?  It is unlikely that I would grow lettuce from seed, but I will definitely harvest a salad from a pot on my deck.  Viva la garden!

No comments: