Wednesday, May 29, 2013

2013 Leland Plein Air Painting Event

Painting by Brenda J. Clark

I was "up north" in Leland, Michigan when the Leelanau Community Cultural Center (at The Old Art Building) hosted their first Plein Air Painting Event.  

Artists were to register online and then on the day of the event, they were to bring their canvas to the Old Art Building between 9-10 am to be stamped (on the back) by the Plein Air committee to complete the registration process.  Then the artists were free to chose a spot somewhere in and around Leland to paint or draw.  The art was to be completed by 4 pm and submitted with a frame to the committee.  At 6:30 that night, the artists and public were invited to a reception at the Old Art Building.  The paintings and drawings were on display for the guests to admire and purchase.  A portion of each sale went to support the Leelanau Community Cultural Center.
What a success!  I was jealous of the talent and amazed at the landscapes that these artists were able to create in just one day.  I was fascinated by the entire process.

While Dan and I were out and about that day, I noticed several painters next to streams or on bluffs throughout the bright and chilly day, painting from their chosen perspective.  We noticed so many, that I felt that I was pointing out rare birds. "Look! There's another one!"

When we walked down toward Fishtown, I ran into Brenda J Clark.  I had stopped to admire her work - her painting of Fishtown is shown on the easel above - and as we chatted, I realized that I had met her before.  She taught my best friend, Kim in an art class at Michigan State University and they have remained friends.  A few years ago, Kim had taken me into Brenda's art gallery, which is now located in Suttons Bay, Michigan.  
I absolutely love Brenda's bold use of color.  Her work table reminds me of so many of my projects mid-stream - you can instantly tell that big things are going on.      
Viva la Plein Air!  Bravo, Leelanau Community Cultural Center for bringing such a wonderful event to Leland!  

No comments: