Tuesday, May 27, 2014

S'More Maker: Delightful Date Night with Square Marshmallows

To me, nothing says Summer like S'mores. And you know how I love unreasonable appliances.  I was an early adopter of the electric iced tea maker and the Cocomotion (an electric pitcher that whirls and heats milk and chocolate to make cocoa) and to my surprise and delight, my brother and sister-in-law gave me this S'mores Maker. We normally make s'mores together on the beach at Lake Michigan, so I hadn't actually had a chance to use it until this Memorial Weekend.

We were home, instead of up at the lake, so Dan and I christened my s'more maker on Sunday night - roasting marshmallows and talking on the patio after a long day working on the house and garden.  

I had forgotten how relaxing it is to slowly roast a marshmallow. The s'more maker includes a burner for the fuel (you provide a small sterno can) with a handle and a snuffer to extinguish the flame. It worked like a charm and felt safe and easy. The stand works like a lazy Susan (the base spins), which makes assembling your s'more a piece of cake.  

Another item I must trumpet? Square marshmallows.  Kraft makes Jet Puffed StackerMallows - the same marshmallow recipe we love, just sized to fit perfectly on top of a graham cracker.  I like innovation when it makes sense. 

Do marshmallows need to be flavored? No, not really.  
Do marshmallows need to be the size of a lemon? No, not really. 
Do marshmallows need to be square to give more marshmallow to chocolate coverage in a S'more? Yes - now we're talking!

No comments: