Thursday, February 18, 2016

Apartment Living: Northwest Flower and Garden Show 2016

I am covering the 2016 Northwest Flower and Garden Show to provide insight and increase enjoyment. My blog posts will spotlight specific categories and will leave a trail a breadcrumbs to help my readers find the items or features that will interest them the most. The categories are: Apartment Living, Farm Chic, French Flair, Romantic Touch, Love of Cuisine and Bee Specific.
Landscape Design Company, Cobble & Birch had my favorite display in the City Living section of the show. The glass sky bridge (between the two large exhibit areas) is lined with vignettes that can be recreated by city dwellers. A small outdoor footprint can handle big ideas if done well. Cobble and Birch highlighted the show theme "America the Beautiful" with items in red, white and blue. My favorite element is the vertical garden planted with healthy white primulas. The view from the sky bridge looks right down to Puget Sound and Pike Place Market!
When living in an apartment, you might consider a bonsai tree as an interesting addition to your interior design. Stop by Akira Bonsai (booth 2421, green, Plant Market) and see if you find the perfect long term project.
Bringing fresh cut flowers home is another practical way to keep the joy of flowers around. I really appreciate the long narrow design of the floral vases by Stem Vases (booth 1202, blue, Marketplace). They let the beauty of the flowers speak for themselves.
Are you looking to add a little whimsy to your place? I just love the distressed metal letters and number available from Release the Flying Monkeys (booth 965, blue, Marketplace). 
I can think of a million ways to use these (and a million phrases to spell out). They have a large selection of metal flowers and garden signs too. The shopping at this show is incredible.
As an apartment dweller myself, I know that a part of successful apartment living is getting out into the fresh air and exploring our great National Parks! This year, the Northwest Flower and Garden Show theme is "America the Beautiful" in honor of the Centennial Anniversary of the National Park Service. The show has a National Parks Service booth (next to the wine garden, adjacent to the large display gardens) staffed by the park service, who are available to answer questions and distribute literature. I was given a free packet of "Burpee's Bee Garden" seeds to plant as part of the National Pollinator Initiative. Thank you, National Park Service! I will plant them in my P-Patch this year. I was also given a map to follow the Lewis & Clark trail, a brochure about visiting Mount Rainier and information about getting a National Parks pass. 
The National Parks Service recently appointed Laura Joss as the regional director for the Pacific West Region of the National Park Service. Congratulations, Laura! Here she is in front of the magnificent display garden titled: The Tiny Tetons by Nature Perfect Landscape and Design. They had me at (what I think are) miniature blue iris. Blue blue blue. I could gaze at this all day.
Look at the magnificent piece of wood setting off the entrance!

Northwest Flower and Garden Show at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle. Show is open Wednesday, Feb 16 - Saturday, Feb 20 from 9am- 8pm, and Sunday, Feb 21 from 9am - 6pm.


#NWFGS #springinfeb #seattle

No comments: