Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Farm Chic: 2016 Northwest Flower and Garden Show

I am covering the 2016 Northwest Flower and Garden Show to provide insight and increase enjoyment. My blog posts will spotlight specific categories and will leave a trail a breadcrumbs to help my readers find the items or features that will interest them the most. The categories are: Apartment Living, Farm Chic, French Flair, Romantic Touch, Love of Cuisine and Bee Specific.
Is your heart back on the farm? I gathered these terrific examples of barnyard chic items that just might speak to you. First of all, someone has to buy these ceramic chickens! MD Arts and Linen (booth 407, blue, near Display Gardens).
A chicken coop (featuring a perfectly happy live chicken) was the focus of Cascadia Edible Landscapes' Design Garden. It shows how a rooftop garden can be perfectly within reach if you plant it on top of a custom chicken coop. No stepladder needed. 

Does your inner farm girl say things like "put up vegetables?" There is a free seminar called "Eat Locally Because You Can: Easy Canning For Gardeners" on Friday, Feb 19 at 1:45 pm.
Do you need seeds to plant, so that you can have too many vegetables and you'll need to can? Me too. Actually, I signed up for my first P-Patch (an organic community garden with small plots tended by individuals or families) and I can't wait to have my first vegetable (and edible flower) garden in Seattle. Living in an apartment makes me realize just how much I like whiling away time in the garden.

I was taken with the artwork on The Living Seed Company (booth 2527, green, Plant Market) packets and I know that I'm not alone when I say that I often buy them because of how pretty they are.  Remember when I made seed packets into business card cases? I can and I did.
No time to grow actual vegetables this year? What about displaying a small basket of these works of art? Totally Blown Glassworks (booth 1118, blue, Market Place) has a farmer's market full of choices.

Northwest Flower and Garden Show at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle. Show is open Wednesday, Feb 16 - Saturday, Feb 20 from 9am- 8pm, and Sunday, Feb 21 from 9am - 6pm.
#NWFGS #springinfeb #seattle 

No comments: