Saturday, October 18, 2008

John Derian

I have loved the precise and beautiful decoupage work of John Derian for years. On my first trip to New York City, I gave my friend Kerry a half hour monologue on his work before we entered his studio. Seriously. That day I bought a small plate that combines botanical images with script (shown here) and I treasure it.

Fast forward a few years, and (be still my heart) John Derian has a limited edition series at...Target! I went the day it was released and bought all four melamine trays in the series. The "butterfly tray" is shown here in my living room, next to a real sea fan. I must say, this vignette makes me very happy.

6 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

Very pretty and the writing appears to have been done with nib and ink. I'm so old that I learned to write before biros were invented. The inkwell in the school desktop and a nib and holder. It taught us the value of reducing the pressure on the upstroke!

Anne Reeves said...

Wow - learning script with ink & a nib. My handwriting is fast, tiny and I tend to skip vowels. I would be a wreck with an open vat of ink! A friend once came up to me at a meeting and said "I got your note...when you get a chance, give me a call and tell me what it said." :-) She was exaggerating to be funny, but be happy that my blog is typed!

MmeBenaut said...

Ha ha! Yes, the keyboard is much easier!

When I went to primary school (years 1-7), one was marked on one's ability to write properly, in copperplate, no less. I used to get 99% or 98% for my writing; perfectionist that I was.I can still do it, although unfortunately the arthritis in my thumb and forefinger make it a little more painful! It's a skill that has been completely lost on the younger generation - they do everything so fast these days.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness some bloggers can write. Thank you for this post..

Anonymous said...

You couldnt be more right on!

Anonymous said...

At least some bloggers can write. Thanks for this piece!