Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chicken Coop

I was at a party this Summer talking about the weather, the garden, the usual, when a woman I had just met mentioned chickens! She had decided to keep chickens for the Summer and enjoy the process of tending them (as well as enjoy the bounty of fresh eggs). How cool!

She ordered them out of a catalog and they come to our tiny town through the US Mail Service. She said, "The post office called the house and said 'Your chickens are here!'"

When she invited my Mom and me to come over to "see the chickens," we jumped at the chance. She had the perfect hen house (that her husband and son designed and built together), a chicken coop and 6 happy chickens. It was as neat as a pin and simply fascinating.

We talked and talked. We thumbed through the chicken catalog (who knew?) and we had a wonderful time getting to know each other. Thanks, Maureen, for a really fun morning!

3 comments:

Maur said...

Anne, I am now back home in NC and missing the chickens and the eggs...and summer...kids are getting ready for school...i am doing piles of laundry and tryign to figure out where to start--- SO>>>i am on the internet downlaodign pictures and havign coffee and found your wonderful blog and website! Thanks! Maureen

Anne Reeves said...

Yea! Oh, Maureen, I am so glad you found me and that you are enjoying my moments of delight! I look forward to many more fun days with you next Summer. xo Anne

LillyB said...

This was a great post. I think its been years since I had Fresh eggs!! Thanks for sharing this one.