Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tulip Time

Tulips are proof that gardeners are organized and optimistic!

This time of year there is a chill in the air.  The trees are changing from green to every imaginable shade of red, yellow and orange.  The magazines are full of chili recipes.  There is college football on television every Saturday.  It is Fall and the cider mill beckons. 

But we will not be distracted.  Gardeners around the country are faithfully planning a spectacular Spring 2012.  Fall is the time to plant Spring blooming bulbs: tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and then even more tulips.  Just look at the sea of white tulips with delicate green markings (above) called "Spring Green."  It makes me want to fill my beds with tulips!

My favorite collection of tulips is a pastel mix that says "Easter Bonnet" mix on the packaging.  In life and lipsticks, it is all about the name.  When I heard the phrase "Easter Bonnet" it was all over.  I've found this collection in upscale garden centers (as well as the link I provided above), but shop early.  All the other girls like the name too!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

That is a pretty mix. I have got to get busy and get bulbs and start planting. It just hasn't been cold enough here yet and I think I will probably have to put them in the refrigerator for awhile to chill before planting them.