Thursday, July 22, 2010

Visiting England: Blenheim Palace

"Honey, I'm home!"

Can you imagine? This spectacular residence turned museum is Blenheim Palace, a gorgeous estate, park and museum about 90 minutes from central London. While the history of this spectacular estate dates back to the early 1700's, it is most famous as the birthplace of Winston Churchill. I saw his "onesie" (cotton baby shirt!) preserved under glass as proof - such an unexpected memento from the life of a very important man. The museum is also loaded with fantastic artifacts, letters and paintings (done by Churchill!) - history buffs will be in heaven. And the palace has the prettiest gift shop too. Don't miss it!
It was a hot and quiet afternoon the day I visited and as a result, my photos have no tourists in them. It looks like I own the place! Oh the dishes I would buy if I could entertain here. And soup tureens, gilded chargers, demitasse cups...

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Another place to add to my list of 'must sees when in England'!

Anne Reeves said...

Absolutely, Elaine. And have tea!