Thursday, July 15, 2010

Visiting England: Cupcakes at Treacle

Flowers and cupcakes? I told you that I was in heaven at London's Columbia Flower Market! After making my way from one end of the market to the other (and then back again), I was ready for a snack.

A pretty bakery caught my eye and as I approached, I read the motto painted over the window: "Our true intent is all for your delight."

I was in the right place! These yummy cupcakes are from Treacle, a bake shop dedicated to new nostalgia (old-fashioned recipes, vintage-style aprons, enamelware tins). 

I've never heard it called new nostalgia before, but I like it!
I wanted to show you this interesting display. They have taken mini cupcakes and put them on a wooden skewer (like a shish kabob!) on an outdoor grill. Certainly eye catching and the cupcakes look even prettier than if they had simply been in a box. So clever!

I had a traditional vanilla cupcake with pale purple frosting, edible glitter and candied violets on top. I ate it on the street with gusto and think I sold a few more cupcakes for them in the process.

4 comments:

LillyB said...

This is a unique but fun idea!! I bet they were yummy!

MmeBenaut said...

These bring back memories, my grandmother used to make candied violets. I have plenty of violets in the garden right now but they are white with delicate deep purple centres, a native violet that grows wild here.
The cakes look simply delicious.

Anne Reeves said...

I would love to make candied violets, Mme! I'll have to research that process! It would be so fun to have my own stash.

Debbie said...

Oh wow, I never knew there was a bakery there. I'll have to pop in some time, they look lovely!