Thursday, May 5, 2011

Julia's Kitchen

I think you'll remember when I visited Julia Child's kitchen at the Smithsonian a few years ago.  Well my memories of her kitchen (shown above) all came back to me this week as I attended two church rummage sales. 

In Julia's day, there really was no such thing as beautiful kitchen tools.  Nothing matched, most items were metal or wood and non-stick spatulas were relatively new.  There wasn't anything special about her tools, but they were all she needed to make a delicious meal.

As I saw people sorting through dusty boxes of these humble (yet necessary) kitchen tools, it reminded me that although they aren't the gorgeous pristine pieces from Sur La Table, they'll do the trick. 

What was my Julia-worthy find?  A metal "sauce and gravy" whisk for twenty-five cents.

No comments: