Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Washington, D.C.: JFK and Jackie

This is it! The famed booth at Martin's Tavern where John F. Kennedy proposed to Jacqueline Bouvier in 1953.  You can read more details of the story here.

When we were visiting Washington, D.C., we stayed with our good friends Peter and Donna.  We had one night in town and they knew that we would love to have dinner at a historic Georgetown haunt.  Martin's Tavern it is!
It happened to be St. Patrick's Day and the restaurant was packed with revelers.  We were lucky to get "Madeleine Albright's" cozy booth in the heart of the restaurant and had a lovely meal sharing stories and enjoying the night.
Since it was St.Patrick's Day, it felt wonderful to order (and then devour) a Martin Tavern's specialty, Shepherd's Pie.  It was so flavorful that after the first bite, I knew that it was the best I'd ever had.  
After dinner, with Donna's encouragement, I made my way over to the booth where JFK proposed to Jackie and asked the couple dining there if they minded if I snapped a photo of the plaque.  They twinkled at each other and were quick to grant my wish.  I can't help but wonder if the man had plans of his own to propose there one day. 

It was the perfect night in Washington, D.C. -  old friends, a historical setting and the time to enjoy it.

No comments: