Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Calming Influence

Before I let the pink, yellow and lavender of Spring "pop" in my home decor, I am savoring the calming influence of neutrals.  If you follow my blog, you know that I have been on the road since January.  It has been a winter full of interesting food, beautiful vistas and wonderful friends.  But I am so very happy to be home (so are my plants!)

I wanted to show you my recent D.I.Y. success.  Check out my "new" lamps!
Remember when they were white with a lace-edged lampshade?  

The lamp was a basic candlestick lamp base that I bought at Target more than 10 years ago.  It was time for a change, so I took the white shades off and wrapped painter's tape around the light bulb socket and around the power cord where it connects to the lamp base.  Then I took the lamp outside, set it on newspaper and sprayed it with several light coats of Rust-oleum Universal Spray Paint (Metallic Paint & Primer in one) in "Champagne Mist."  Tah-dah! Never has so little effort made such a transformation.  And luck was on my side when I found these simple (yet matching!) lamp shades at Walmart. 

The lamps now echo the metallic paint on the wallpaper and it looks so pretty!

After a whirl of color and noise (remember, not so long ago I was in Vegas!), this sweet color scheme provides the calming influence that I need. 

No comments: