Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Burger Smash

To liven up dinner, we decided that custom hamburgers were the way to go.  I bought enough ground beef for four hamburgers and then prepared a slew of options to mix into the uncooked meat.  Each person could choose their mix ins, and I'd smash it into a custom burger.

I was inspired by a new hamburger place called Smashburger.  I've never been to one, but I think the concept is the same as Cold Stone Creamery or Marble Slab, where ice cream is mixed to order with the customers favorite add ins.  I thought the idea worked so well with hamburgers that I'd give it a try at home.

(***Wrong! I went to a real Smashburger restaurant and it didn't live up to my imagination.  To them, the "smash" is cooking the meat between to griddles.  The toppings you choose are all on top.  So not as much fun as my idea.  I say, do it my way at home - it's delish.)

I added sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions, chopped green olives, a few dill pickle chunks and a little shredded cheddar cheese.  It was love at first bite and I'd choose the same combination again - yum!
We cooked them in a saute pan to help the burgers stay together (I think pieces would have tumbled into a grill) and this method kept the burgers juicy and tender too.

When "making hamburgers for dinner" just don't sound good, consider smashing something into them first.  You just might find the perfect combination.

No comments: