Thursday, April 4, 2013

Washington, DC: Matchbox Restaurant



Before we headed into the National Portrait Gallery for an afternoon of art, we stopped at Matchbox in Chinatown for lunch. We sat in the airy section of the restaurant under skylights and loved our long lunch!

I ordered 3 mini burgers of
 certified Angus beef, toasted brioche, pickles with onion straws
 and they were delicious.  I also had a small apple and pear salad with mixed greens, candied pecans, Gorgonzola (I switched to Parmesan) with a honey-balsamic vinaigrette and I ate every bite of this fresh fruit-filled salad.

We happened to meet the thirty-something couple next to us (she complimented my necklace!) and talked for a long time about travel, Detroit and growing up in the Midwest (she is from Ohio).  It was really pleasant and had us lingering over lunch far longer than usual.  That's the beauty of vacation.  We weren't in a rush.
   

If you get a chance to visit Matchbox (at any time of day), you should.  There is always a crowd mingling outside hoping for a table and I've always enjoyed the food and atmosphere.

No comments: