Monday, May 21, 2012

Welcome to the World

A mother robin has made her nest in the crook of the downspout in my backyard. She loves the afternoon sun and has been congratulating herself on picking such a great spot.  I love it too, of course, and am outside a lot.
You can see that I have a long backyard and have a path between the patio and deck.  Well, Mama Robin is in the area between and would panic and fly away whenever I crossed.  I felt terrible about this, and in an effort to apologize, I found myself saying, "I'm so sorry, but I really have to water the plants etc," as I walked across.

You know what?  I worked.  Whenever I talk to her and tell her my plans before I do it (trim the roses, move a chair), she's okay with it and stays put.  I kid you not.  This has been a great relief to me, as I don't want to disturb her, but I do want to get the garden ready for Summer.  (Look how big my roses are getting - and I have buds too!)
 
And yesterday the little guys arrived!  I noticed a lot of flying back and forth, so I looked through the family room window and caught a glimpse of "Junior" having dinner.  I saw a flurry of beaks just before this, so I think there might be 3 baby birds in there.  Happy Mother's Day, indeed!

***An update
"The kids" flew the nest on June 2.  I named them: Reggie, Bryce and Steve, I don't know why.  This was the group shot I got just before the first bird tried flying, see the row of 3 beaks? Adorable.
Below is Reggie on our deck just minutes after we saw him fly from the nest.
 Go Reggie Go!

No comments: