Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Meditation Garden


If you need me, I'll be in the garden.  This is my favorite time of year.  June usually has cooler mornings and temperatures in the 70's during the day.  I can do my gardening in the morning and freshen things up for enjoying the patio the rest of the day.
This "floral portrait" is the Abraham Darby English rose by David Austin. 

Each morning that I am home, I deadhead the roses, violas and geraniums.  I water the pots (mixed flowers, herbs, pepper plants, tomatoes) with a hose.  I cut all of the flowers that I want to make into bouquets.  Then I put on gloves and spray any buds/plants that show signs of disease or bugs with Orthonex.  Please note that I cut the flowers first, because I don't want to interact with any plants with bug spray on them.  I fertilize when necessary (I'm about to put down my "June" application of Rose Tone).  And then I sweep the patio to clean things up.  
A lot of tasks, I know, but it is oh so worth it.  I like Martha Stewart's explanation. She says that she doesn't think of it as "working in the garden" or having a list of "garden work" that must be done. To her (and me) it is simply the act of gardening and we love it. I don't play music.  I'm not on the phone.  I am in the garden - thinking and relaxing in my own space.  For me, that is meditation. 

I think any garden you can take care of is a "Meditation Garden," don't you?  

No comments: