Monday, June 24, 2013

My Sentimental Garden

I am a sentimental fool...and luckily, I married a man who is too!  When I went to Paris with my parents to celebrate my mom's 70th birthday, we were gone for just over two weeks.  

Around Day 10, Dan was out of sorts and ended up wandering the garden center. He bought and planted a peony for our garden.  He said that when he saw one that was called "Gay Paree," he simply couldn't resist.  Isn't that wonderful?

I'd loved it for years and then we had some kind of natural flooding in the peony bed.  Our area has a lot of clay in the soil and the heavy rains made parts of the yard more like a clay bathtub holding water.  I lost most of my peonies to rot.  Needless to say, it was not a delight, so I haven't talked about it much.  Fast forward to last Fall.  Dan saw "some signs of life" in two peony plants (that haven't bloomed in two years) and moved them to our side bed.

Tah-dah! It is June and both plants lived, and bloomed, and one of them was "Gay Paree!"  It wasn't until this bud opened that I knew which peony had survived.  Thank you, Mother Nature, for helping this sentimental plant "hang on" until we could move it to a better spot.

Do you have any sentimental plants?

No comments: