Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cedar Sol Taco Stand, Leelanau Peninsula

You know a place is good when you are eating your lunch and wondering how soon you can come back.  

With made to order tacos that are delicious and a view that is completely "up north," Cedar Sol Taco Stand is THE fun new place to grab lunch.  

Cedar Sol Hydro Farm is the outdoor vertical hydroponic farm that grows a slew of vegetables and strawberries and sells the produce as well as the hydro-stackers that they grow in.  Cedar Sol Taco Stand is the booming side business that blossomed when Carlos, a friend and employee at Cedar Sol, suggested they open a taco stand on the property.  The owners converted the garage on the property (at the top of the hill on the side of the road), put out some picnic tables and a sign that read "Tacos" and the rest is history. You can read all about it in an interview with the owners in the Spring 2013 issue of Edible Grand Traverse magazine.  

I ordered a fresh whitefish taco that was loaded with fluffy mounds of Carlson's whitefish that had been marinated and grilled.  It was in a flour tortilla with fresh pico de gallo, a squeeze of lime and some beautiful hydroponic lettuce from the Cedar Sol crop!  Yum yum yum.  The order also comes with a few tortilla chips, to provide that satisfying crunch while eating.

I devoured my taco, sipped a spicy ginger ale and soaked up this view.  Then I went back and ordered another taco.  This time the line had grown and I had time to consider my selection.  I ordered a shredded chicken taco in a corn tortilla with pico, lettuce, lime and a sprinkle of cheese.  It was so good that I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.  

This was my first visit to a taco stand (a rarity in Michigan) and now I'm hooked.  If you find yourself whirling through the roads of Leelanau County (perhaps Martha Stewart sent you?), you must stop for a taco in Cedar.    

No comments: