Friday, September 24, 2010

Caramelized Peaches


These caramelized peaches were a happy accident.  Intending to "poach" the fresh peaches, I placed them cut side down in a large saute pan in a syrup made of equal parts sugar and water, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and an inch of vanilla bean.  I put the burner on medium and...answered the phone?  Checked the computer?  

Do not follow my example, it was a close call and I almost burned up the pan as well as the peaches.  But I arrived at the magic moment when the peaches had caramelized and the remaining liquid had reduced to a glossy peach-infused syrup.  You can make this incredible (and easy!) dessert too, just please stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on things.

The peaches I bought were large and still quite hard.  The good news is that all of that hardness disappears when you cook them.  I served each peach half with a small scoop of my favorite "ice cream."  Edy's Slow Churned Yogurt Blends in Vanilla.  It is creamy, contains live active cultures and counts as a good source of calcium.  What more could a girl want?

4 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

Now that's my idea of a dessert! Lucky accident indeed!

Anne Reeves said...

Definitely! I made them again last night for my bookclub - delish!

Urban_mocha said...

I so want to do my peaches like this and stuff them into fresh home made whipped cream and use it as feeling between 2 soft layers of home made vanilla cake.

Anne Reeves said...

Denise! You sound like you have a great dessert ahead of you! Thanks for sharing. You can send me a message on Facebook/Moments of Delight too and share a picture of your masterpiece!