Friday, September 10, 2010

Grain Sack Pillows

It has been on my "To Make" list for a year, but I finally had a chance to sew a pillow out of the coffee bean sack that I bought in Paris!

Part of the incredible week I spent with Patricia Wells in Paris was walking the food markets with her. Along the way, we stopped at a whole bean coffee vendor. We poured inside to select beans and inhale the gorgeous smell of fresh ground coffee. As everyone was making their purchases, I wandered outside and noticed a stack of coffee bean sacks from all over the world.

As I leafed through the pile looking at the markings, Patricia asked me what I was up to. "One of these is going to become a pillow in my living room!" I told her. She loved the idea and asked me to email her a picture when it was finished.

Even better, I am sending her a link to this blog post - I love technology!

As it turns out, this season the upcycling (the use of an object/item for a purpose greater than it's original use) of grain and flour bags into pillows is all the rage. If you are looking for a designer touch, you can see some for sale right now at Restoration Hardware and Ballard Designs.

I am so happy with how this looks! The texture, color and graphics are perfect for my living room and serves as a constant reminder me that "We'll Always Have Paris."

No comments: