Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tin Plates

I was the happiest girl at Windsor Castle (okay, except for maybe The Queen, because she gets to live there).

I only had a few minutes to shop in the gift shop because we were on a tight timeline to return our rental car to the airport and meet up with our ride back to London.

So when I ducked in the shop, I thought I would pick up a little something, like a charm for my bracelet.

What did I find? The entire line of Commemorative Plates from the Royal Collection! I had seen these tin dinner plates in a catalog a long time ago and I have wanted them ever since. They look exactly like fine china and bear the design from different eras in royal history.

On the back of this plate it says, "The Great Exhibition Plate: This design is from a dessert service by Coalport. The service was used at the Royal Table at the banquet given by the City of London at the Guildhall, to celebrate the opening of The Great Exhibition, 9th July 1851."

Isn't that neat? I alarmed the teenage girl working there and did some serious speed-shopping. She wrapped as I put things on the counter. I decided my best bet was to select one of each. Love them! I have been displaying them separately around the house and so far this vignette has been the prettiest.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Are you sure that is tin? It does look like china. Beautiful!

Anne Reeves said...

Blows your mind, doesn't it? This is light-weight wonderful tin! Keep your eye out for other patterns displayed in future posts!