Thursday, January 15, 2009

An Assumption in Crafts: When My Knitting Doesn't Improve

I love to knit. But I want to be perfectly clear...I knit scarves. My knitting varies in color, texture, weight, pattern, purpose, season...but my project are always scarves and I am okay with that.  I can do the "knit stitch" back and forth and find it very relaxing.

There is an "assumption in crafts" that all skills need to be advanced. I disagree. The counting, shaping, decreasing of more advanced knitting projects takes all the fun out of it for me. I don't want to learn more right now. Maybe in twenty years I'll feel differently, but right now I love love love to knit (scarves).

So if you are like me and find your audience slightly disappointed when you answer their "What are you making?" question, remember this...

They asked because they are interested. Maybe they'd like you to teach them how to knit (scarves).

6 comments:

LillyB said...

I don't knit, however, I understand how you feel when you find something you like and you are happy with it, that is what counts!
My daughter is in Buffalo New York right now, I bet she would love one of your scarfs!!

Anne Reeves said...

Yes, I have been knitting for 4 years now and I am perfectly happy with the gorgeous scarves I knit. I'll post some sometime.

We have bright blue skies and negative 1 degree temps right now! A scarf is a must.

Nancy Carabio Belanger said...

Oh, that's so funny because I feel the same way about crocheting scarves! I've done purses and more complicated things, but then it suddenly becomes work if I have to think about it too much!

kerrie said...

If and when you are ready to move onto the next knitting level - remember I have a retired home ec mom to loan you. She is always interested in teaching. I have many sweaters in my collection from her, and they are all special.

Kimmers said...

Oh, yes Anne! Post some of your scarves. Especially the one your wore to lunch today. I could harldy keep my hands off it -- I wanted to crawl into it!

Ruth Ann said...

I started knitting when I was about 5. I knkitted a scarf. Then I knitted a scarf as a way to learn all the fancy stitches. After that, I knitted sweaters for years. Now, I knit scarves exclusively. Knitting is for relaxation and what could be more relaxing than knitting or crocheting a scarf!