Thursday, January 22, 2009

Santa & Rachmaninoff

As we were lingering in the lobby after the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's incredible rendition of Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini," I started chatting with one of the other patrons.

My new friend opened the conversation with:
"Rachmaninoff played here, you know."

"What?" (Seriously...what!?)

"He performed here with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra back in the 1920's."

"I can't believe it," I said, "I don't even think of (Rachmaninoff) as real, you know. I think of him more like Santa."

To which he replied, "Hey...Santa's real."

"I know, I know," I said, "It's just they are both so mythological and I haven't met either one of them."

***You can see concert pianist, Olga Kern (who performed Rachmaninoff at the concert I attended) perform Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 on YouTube here.

No comments: