Friday, January 23, 2009

Ben and Bernice

Do you know what stands out to me about this picture? The smooth snow. There are no bunny tracks yet. The snow storm ended and the sun came up on this morning before Ben & Bernice made it out of their homespun hutch to investigate.

Years ago, I named the rabbits that live in our area Ben & Bernice (and dubbed their sons, Robbie & Ralphie). In the Spring and Summer they lounge on our lawn nibbling and listening, but in the wintertime, only their footprints give them away.


I have been crafting a children's story about them and the trials of learning how to "be" a rabbit. Sort of a cross between Uncle Wiggley and Anne of Green Gables - a story full of muffin baking and gentle lessons.

I hope to have it published one day...

5 comments:

LillyB said...

The pictures look wonderful. I am not a fan of getting in the snow but I love to see the pictures. The book sounds great. Maybe it would help answer some of my nephews questions about "Wabbits" that is how he says rabbits, he is almost 5 and cute as a button!

MmeBenaut said...

I'll look forward to reading it when it's published. I love the look of that pristine snow too. It's a gorgeous photo.

Anne Reeves said...

Thanks!

kerrie said...

After driving around town this morning in the snowstorm, I returned home a little stressed and when I looked at the front yard I saw our bunny's footprints on the fresh snow and it brought a smile to my face.
I can't wait for you to finish the book so I can read it (hopefully with the kids).

Anne Reeves said...

Oh I am so glad that my talk of bunny footprints stuck with you, Kerrie. Thanks for telling me and yes, I'm working on it!