Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Charleston: Historic Ironwork

Have you ever discovered something on a trip and then returned home to realize that it was only the tip of the iceberg?  In my walks around the city of Charleston, I noticed this beautiful iron gate with a gilded harp.  What an entrance.  The intricate ironwork of Christopher Werner is what made me stop and take notice, and upon reading about Hibernian Hall from home, I wish I could have known to go inside.  Flamboyant ballroom? Double Stairhall?

How I could I not know about Charleston's historic ironwork?  If I would have known, I would have done some research before I arrived.  I really enjoyed my time there - I was able to wander the city for the better part of a week a few years ago when my husband was in town for work.

I explored the beautiful shops on King Street, wandered an indie craft show and had my first bubble tea with made with tapioca pearls.  It was a lovely city to explore and I wanted to see more.  I would love to tour the gardens of Charleston one day.  Or be able to walk the streets when it is decorated for Christmas!  Have you ever been to Charleston?

No comments: