Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Russian Tea

When I was growing up, one of my mother's friends often made me a cup of Russian Tea.  It was delicious, warming and made me feel very worldly and grown up.  As an adult, I have run into this homemade concoction every once in a while, but everyone calls it Friendship Tea.  I think that is because the ingredients can be assembled and given in a jar as a gift.  

I want to share this simple recipe with you and encourage you to mix up a batch.  It is a combination of dry ingredients that you can keep in a jar in the pantry almost indefinitely and make yourself a cup whenever you are in the mood to read Anna Karenina.  Speaking of which, have you seen the movie trailers for the movie, Anna Karenina, starring Keira Knightley set to debut this November? I can't wait!

I also love this hot drink because it have Vitamin C and a bit of caffeine (or not, depending on the instant tea you use) for a lift on a cold afternoon.

Russian Tea

1 cup of Tang (instant orange drink)
1 cup of instant Lemonade Mix
1/2 c of instant Tea (decaf or regular)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Mix all of the ingredients together.  To serve, place 1 Tablespoon in a cup and fill with hot water, stir and enjoy.  You may use more or less of the mix, according to taste.  

When I have one on hand, I add a slice of real orange to the mug.  It looks so pretty!  This mug is by Emma Bridgewater and is in the pattern called, "Black Toast."

No comments: