Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Best Strawberry Freezer Jam

When life gives you strawberries...make freezer jam!  Ball has made it easy with a no-fail instant pectin that requires only sugar, strawberries and love.  
I wash my jars, lids and screw caps in the dishwasher.  I washed and hulled strawberries and put them in my food processor. I used short bursts of power to "mash" the fruit into jam consistency.  I mix 1 envelope or equivalent from a jar of freezer jam instant pectin (note that this jar has a purple accented label) with 1 1/2 cups of sugar.  Stir in 4 cups of smashed fruit.  Stir for 3 minutes.  Ladle into clean jars.  Leave the filled jars at room temperature for 30 minutes, then place in refrigerator for consumption within a few days or in freezer for up to 3 months. 
My parents and I worked in an assembly line and made 5 batches of strawberry jam with 6 quarts of strawberries in about an hour.  We have been having toast and jam every morning ever since. Yum yum yum yum yum.

No comments: