Monday, July 8, 2013

Little Patchwork Gardens

My mom had the cute idea to plant a collection of dianthus in different shades and patterns in a section of her garden.  It's a little bit blurred now from growth, but can you see how the variety of colors and patterns look like a quilt? 
She wants you to know that it is not finished; her plan is to expand it around the edges with more plants.  So cute!

I've thought about doing the same thing with herbs.  I normally plant mine in a strawberry pot, but would love to plant an area with stripes and squares of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.  The height and color variations would make a lovely pattern.

I think it is important to always be on the lookout for opportunities that delight.  I read about the Amish Quilt Gardens in Elkhart, Indiana and I'm hoping to photograph them sometime when I drive over to see my friend, Barb.  (Are you listening Barb? Put on your thinking cap!)

Have you heard about gardens designed to look like quilt blocks?  There are gardens planted in quilt patterns all over Elkhart and they are open to the public to tour and photograph for free from June - October.  I think it is a delightful way to have fun with annuals, don't you?

No comments: