Friday, September 20, 2013

Glossy Sauteed Peaches with Frozen Yogurt

Peaches make life better. I am getting way more than my recommended daily allowance of fruit during peach season, and I feel great. Yesterday, instead of having some fresh peach with my Greek yogurt for breakfast, I saved it to be the star of dessert. 

I cooked my peach by "poaching" it, I placed the 2 halves, cut side down in a large saute pan in a mixture made of equal parts sugar and water (1/3 cup each?), a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and an inch of vanilla bean (only if you have it, no need to add vanilla otherwise).  I put the burner on medium and let the fruit cook about 10 minutes - be sure to watch it so that it doesn't burn.The peach I had was still quite firm.  The good news is that all of that hardness disappears when you cook them.  When the peach has cooked, pull out the piece of vanilla bean stem and discard.  

There will be a magic moment when the peaches have caramelized/deepened in color and the remaining liquid will be reduced to a glossy peach-infused syrup.  I serve my peach half with a small scoop of my favorite "ice cream." Edy's Slow Churned Yogurt Blends in Vanilla.  It is creamy, contains live active cultures and counts as a good source of calcium.  

You must try this while fresh peaches are still available.  Promise me...

No comments: