Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Golden Fig's Enhanced Sugar

Every time I reach into my cupboard and pull out one of my beloved Golden Fig enhanced sugars, I ask myself the same two questions:  
  • Why don't more companies make sugar blends like these? 
  • Why haven't more stores/people discovered Golden Fig, the maker of said sugars?
I initially found Golden Fig when I bought their "Cranberry Spices" mix in a cooking store while on vacation in Minnesota.  I can't find this heavenly blend on their website, but when I call, they usually have it and can mail me a few jars.  The "Cranberry Spices" is a blend of maple powder (see it sounds good already, right?), ground ginger, orange peel powder, thyme (totally the secret ingredient - it adds incredible depth), ground nutmeg, anise and cloves.  The company intends for you to use this spice blend to make a cranberry sauce, which is delicious to be sure.  I want you to sprinkle this heavenly mixture over roasted acorn squash, roasted butternut squash, pureed squash - you get the idea.  It makes all of the harvest vegetables sing.  I joke that I'd sprinkle it in the bathtub if I could - it smells that wonderful.

Anyhoo, because I was such a fan of the "Cranberry Spices," I decided to try some of their enhanced sugars.  I love them all.  They are a culinary indulgence; certainly not necessary for day-to-day living, but very fun to sprinkle with abandon when the mood strikes.
  • Making buttered toast? Shake on some "Cinnamon Orange" sugar.
  • Shortbread hot out of the oven? Sprinkle it with "Lemon Rosebud" and listen to the girls ooh and ahh
  • Non-fat Greek yogurt with berries for breakfast? Douse it with pink "Hibiscus" sugar 
  • Baking Christmas rolls?  They will be even better made with "Cardamom Sugar"
  • Fruit Salad need a little something? Sprinkle it with "Lavender Ginger" sugar
Honestly, you can't go wrong.  I love my collection of special sugars from the Golden Fig. I reach for them all the time and feel like I am a sweet genius.

No comments: