Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sun is Shining and the Bees Are Buzzing

I was happy to find this sunflower, set against a natural backdrop of sea foam green and blooming within my reach.  I'm only 5'2" and I have many photos at an angle looking up at the flowers face, like a child trying to aim up and take pictures of the bride at a wedding.  I rarely find a sunflower that I can photograph "head on."

I was even more pleased when I uploaded the photo to my computer and noticed the bees all over the sunflower face!  
I have been bothered by the cover of recent Time magazine called "The Plight of the Honeybees."  The article (I read ever word) enumerates the many possible causes for the rise in colony deaths since in 2006.  Seeing bees out and about made me feel better and I found this helpful article about bees pollinating sunflowers online.

While this photo was taken in northern Michigan at a small farm, I have many varieties of flowers and herbs on my own property in the suburbs, because giving bees a variety of pollination options helps.  The more home gardens, the better.

No comments: